• Mechanic 9

6 6.59%
  • Mechanic 10

6 6.59%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SC:L Macro Theorycrafting Contest Voting

For Vengenace
    Array

By the way, it's an infraction for any more of this "teamliquid, we don't take kindly to your types in here" business. I really can't describe how much I don't care how accurate you think the stereotype might be. Quit being haters. =/
    sigline
    Send a message via AIM to GradiusSend a message via MSN to Gradius

Temporary Generic Title
    Array

I spent some time arguing over the benefits of one of the finalists over on TL.net -- the one originally proposed by FrozenArbiter. The folks there were pretty welcoming, and, superficially, a lot of the ideas were very creative.

But if there was any way to stereotype the suggestions, it's that most of them did not even attempt to hide the suggestions' blatant "let's add macro to SC2!" nature. You select your units and then you select an ability, or you select your building and target your units with the ability. And I think StarCraft 2 can do better than something that obvious.

I agree with Nicol's sentiment that this is an important occasion, but I think that the nature of the three winning suggestions is very similar from one to another, and there isn't really so much difference which ones get the vote. One isn't likely to be chosen at any rate, and five and eight are both of the variety I listed earlier.

Truth be told, I'm kind of disappointed with the lack of creativity.
    sigline
    My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

BF Member
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by DemolitionSquid View Post
    You invited anyone, including our arch nemesis TL, to vote in this poll. What did you think would happen? We'd stand idly by as they again tried to get rid of all the UI improvements to the game?

Not bloody likely.
    Archnemesis? That's news to me =/ Sure, there have been individual disagreements between members but this kind of hostility is a bit unexpected tbh. It's so pointless to have this kind of animosity (not saying TL members didn't contribute to it), leads absolutely nowhere. I mean, Z_Dragon's old Protoss guide on SCLegacy is pretty much one of the first things I read when I started playing this game..

Anyway, I don't think there's any chance this mechanic is going to be implemented even if it would win (unlike pretty much all the other submissions, which don't mess with the UI).
    Last edited by FrozenArbiter; 01-26-2009 at 10:18 PM.

BF Member
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by pureWasted View Post
    I spent some time arguing over the benefits of one of the finalists over on TL.net -- the one originally proposed by FrozenArbiter. The folks there were pretty welcoming, and, superficially, a lot of the ideas were very creative.

But if there was any way to stereotype the suggestions, it's that most of them did not even attempt to hide the suggestions' blatant "let's add macro to SC2!" nature. You select your units and then you select an ability, or you select your building and target your units with the ability. And I think StarCraft 2 can do better than something that obvious.

I agree with Nicol's sentiment that this is an important occasion, but I think that the nature of the three winning suggestions is very similar from one to another, and there isn't really so much difference which ones get the vote. One isn't likely to be chosen at any rate, and five and eight are both of the variety I listed earlier.

Truth be told, I'm kind of disappointed with the lack of creativity.

What were you thinking of as far as different macro mechanics?
    sigline
    "Blizzard will never add race specific macro mechanics no matter how many long winded essays you write."
    -A Woefully Mistaken BNet Troll

Georgetown University School of Medicine '13

Awesome Beyond Awesome
    Array

Quick, we need lots of votes for any of these mechanics: 2, 3, 9, 10
    This will be useful to prevent the anti-MBS mechanic from winning and will ultimately save this competition.
    sigline

Kudos to Arkceangel for the avatar and sig!
    Send a message via AIM to Alex06Send a message via MSN to Alex06Send a message via Yahoo to Alex06

Temporary Generic Title
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by Archerofaiur View Post
    What were you thinking of as far as different macro mechanics?
    You know full well what I was thinking of. As to why I didn't send it away, well, let's just say I wasn't in the right state of mind, and missed an opportunity I had been so darned vocal about creating.

Funny, that.
    sigline
    My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

Array

I may be biased here but I don't think Option 3 was overly blatant. And look how that fared.

Kerrigan's Appointed Pony
    Array

You know full well what I was thinking of. As to why I didn't send it away, well, let's just say I wasn't in the right state of mind, and missed an opportunity I had been so darned vocal about creating.

Funny, that.
    "Own damn fault" comes to mind here

Quote Quote
    Archnemesis? That's news to me =/ Sure, there have been individual disagreements between members but this kind of hostility is a bit unexpected tbh. It's so pointless to have this kind of animosity (not saying TL members didn't contribute to it), leads absolutely nowhere. I mean, Z_Dragon's old Protoss guide on SCLegacy is pretty much one of the first things I read when I started playing this game..
    DS was being sarcastic. Calm down.

On the note of "OMG, HOW COULD YOU ADD THIS MECHANIC IN THE FIRST PLACE". It got votes. It created discussion. It got you all fired up. Probably got us more viewers too, from people "rallying the troops" (which you should keep doing btw). With a little less hate, you could have classed it as a major success. This was a discussion that clearly needed to be had, and there are reasonable fair points on both sides. So, get your friends, lets have over 100 voters. That could change the outcome of the competition completely
    sigline
    There appears to be a smurf in your forum.

Temporary Generic Title
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosSmurf View Post
    "Own damn fault" comes to mind here
    And no one else's! But having it up there or not having it up there doesn't really do anything for my opinion of its (and other suggestions') validity in and of themselves, hence the original comments!

Last edited by pureWasted; 01-27-2009 at 04:40 AM.
    sigline
    My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

BF Member
    Array

TLDR: Proposal 1 sucks very hard.

Well I am a "newbie" in that I only signed up to the forums today (though I read SC:L quite a bit - it's my main SC news site).

I read through all of the proposals and thought that the only two proposals that I would be perfectly happy with in game were 5 and 8, while I thought that the "speed up building units" proposal was ok. The others all seemed like too much work for no fun/benefit.

I hated proposal 1. I ended up voting for proposal 5 specifically to keep it ahead of proposal 1, even though I thought that proposal 8 was better. Any proposal to punish people who have the audacity to use the interface the way it was designed to be used should not have even made it past the first round.

I believe that this poll should have allowed 3 votes per person, instead of only one. That way we could better understand the three most popular proposals (it may be that one of the "lesser" proposals is actually liked more than proposal 1 if everyone got to vote for their top 3 choices).

Array

Here's a request to the mods...

I'm wondering if it's possible to submit the titles of all the other finalists along with a link/attachment to them along with the three winning submissions. My rationale behind this is that it would give the developers a better overview of the voting trend and also because what's popular isn't necessarily what's best (or in this case, what Blizzard's looking for). Sometimes, the unpopular decision is the right one. After all, in order to grow a rose, you still need a little shit (fertilizer, for those who don't get it).

For Vengenace
    Array

Voting is now closed. Thanks to everyone for participating.
    sigline
    Send a message via AIM to GradiusSend a message via MSN to Gradius