Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Order For Reading Starcraft Books

BF Member
    Array

Default The Order For Reading Starcraft Books

Ok so what is the order for reading the Starcraft Books, and also what is up with this new DT trilogy. Thx for the help, I really want to get into the literally work.
    sigline
    Hell, It's about time.
    1337 Sig Maker(I Think?)

Go Go Go!
    Array

Default Re: The Order For Reading Starcraft Books

To be honest, you're not missing much. None of the Starcraft books I've ever read were exceptional. Sure, there is some understanding of the backstory to be garnered by reading the novels, but you could just as easily find a synopsis online somewhere and save yourself the hassle of drudging through the works of amateur authors. Save your cash for a decent read.
    sigline

Sweet, sweet betrayal...
    Array

Well, honestly, I found "Speed of Darkness" superior to the rest and not bad. I guess the "order" would be SoD, Liberty's Crusade, and Shadow of the Xelnaga, Since SoD is about the zerg invasion of Mar Sara (?), the Liberty's Crusade Expands on thewhole original Terran campaign, and the Shadow of the Xelnaga is after the fall of the Confederacy. I havent read the rest so I cant help you with the whole DT trilogy thingy O.o
    sigline
    "The warmth of life has entered my tomb. Prepare yourself, Mortal, to serve my Master for eternity."
    "You speak of justice? Of cowardice? I'll show you the justice of the grave, and the true meaning of fear."
    "I will rule this sector or see it burned to ashes around me!"

Starcraft Psi Moderator
    Array

SoD and Liberty's Crusade are worth reading, as is the 1st novel of Firstborn (so far). Shadow of the Xel'Naga is a piece of shit that shouldn't have been in existence to begin with, and if you can believe it, The Queen of Blades novel is even worse.

My recommendations are:

Speed of Darkness
    Liberty's Crusade
    Ghost: Nova
    The Dark Templar Saga

The rest are worthless.
    sigline

protoswarrior NA Server: Xecutor 429

Pious Blizzforums - Starcraft Strategy member

The best people I've ever met and who've taught me how to love the game of Starcraft beyond the lore.

With The Sons Of Korhal
    Array

speed of darkness was amazing...the rest of em pretty much suck...havent read the DT ones

speed of darkness takes place very early in starcraft early when the terrans encountered the zerg...gives great story and blockbuster action scenes...if scenes are in books anyways..lol
    sigline

STOP BITCHING IN YOUR SIGNATURE
    don't add this to your signature if you agree because then you would be bitching in your signature, dumbass

BF Member
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by protoswarrior View Post
    SoD and Liberty's Crusade are worth reading, as is the 1st novel of Firstborn (so far). Shadow of the Xel'Naga is a piece of shit that shouldn't have been in existence to begin with, and if you can believe it, The Queen of Blades novel is even worse.

My recommendations are:

Speed of Darkness
    Liberty's Crusade
    The Dark Templar Saga

The rest are worthless.

Great....I'm so glad I bought shadow of the xel'naga and queen of blades....shall I go burn them and not bother?

Starcraft Psi Moderator
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by Butlerion101 View Post
    Great....I'm so glad I bought shadow of the xel'naga and queen of blades....shall I go burn them and not bother?
    Ya man! I bought them too, and I just can't digest the noobiness that they exuded. None of those writers gave a shit about what truly happens in the SC Universe. They just want to have their names on a franchise that is THE most popular RTS of all time. The reading material is twisted and flawed on so many levels... SOXN & QoB are the worst abominations of SC I've ever seen/read...
    sigline

The best people I've ever met and who've taught me how to love the game of Starcraft beyond the lore.

The Last Cerebrate
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by Butlerion101 View Post
    You should read the whole list of errors that has been collected on Queen of Blades. The authors should be required to play the game when writing the novels, and Metzen should bother to read the drafts.

Shadow didn't mess with the plot much, but the writing was actually worse! I've read some of the other author's books (Mesta is a pseudonym for Kevin J. Anderson) and at least some of them are pretty good, like the X-Files novel "Antibodies". Even taking into account Anderson not knowing the StarCraft universe at all well, it still doesn't explain why the writing was so terrible.
    sigline
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

Starcraft Psi Moderator
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by Kimera757* View Post
    You should read the whole list of errors that has been collected on Queen of Blades. The authors should be required to play the game when writing the novels, and Metzen should bother to read the drafts.

Shadow didn't mess with the plot much, but the writing was actually worse! . . . Even taking into account Anderson not knowing the StarCraft universe at all well, it still doesn't explain why the writing was so terrible.
    I second that!
    sigline

BF Member
    Array

I've read generally positive reviews for Firstborn. The few errors that were reported, are mainly timing issues, and it sticks to canon for the most part. The author, Christie Golden is a reputable professional writer who had also written two Warcraft novels, Lord of the Clans and Rise of the Horde. Not to mention that the Dark Templar Saga also contain juicy plot elements leading to the highly anticipated sequel.

Quote Quote
    The authors should be required to play the game when writing the novels, and Metzen should bother to read the drafts.
    As brilliant as a storyteller he is, Metzen himself have screwed up with the Warcraft lore on multiple occasions, with all the blatant retcons on the series since Warcraft 3, continuing to World of Warcraft with the sudden resurrection of the 'original' Draenei race who look prettier then the misshapen ones in Frozen Throne...

BF Member
    Array

I'll definitely take Protosswarrior and Kimera's advice...damnit I should have done some research... Well at least I have some paper to start a bon fire the next time we all hit the beach. Thanks for your input.

The Last Cerebrate
    Array

Metzen became aware of the draenei retcon before it was too late.

Okay, I do not play WoW, so I'm probably missing something important (eg the timing of the retcon announcement) but Rise of the Horde came out a month before WoW: the Burning Crusade, and Metzen did point that he made an error/made a retcon.

Furthermore, Golden was not writing about events that we knew a lot of detail about already. As a result, even if she made mistakes they weren't jarring. I thought Rise of the Horde was great, but I would give it four stars (compared to five for Lord of the Clans), mainly because we didn't get to see Cho'gall (they had a brilliant opportunity when Blackhand started recruiting ogres) and because Blackhand got promoted too quickly... although in the latter case Blackhand's promotion timing has bounced from year to year depending on who is doing the writing, so it's really Metzen's fault there.

I'm not going to burst a blood vessel because Aaron Rosenberg doesn't know what a Devourer is. I'm going to burst a blood vessel (well, be somewhat angry) because he skipped three important Protoss missions and messed things up so badly I can't even take the way he wrote how Tassadar and Zeratul met seriously.

But to finally answer the OP, here's the writing order

Uprising (ebook only; go to www.simonsays.com and do the search; I don't know if we're allowed to link directly to pages where you buy stuff on this forum)

Liberty's Crusade

Shadow of the Xel'Naga

Speed of Darkness

Queen of Blades

Dark Templar Saga (Firstborn, Shadow Hunters and Twilight)

The order in which the events occur:

Long long time ago: certain events in Firstborn
    Shortly before StarCraft starts: Uprising
    Episode I: Speed of Darkness (first few missions), Liberty's Crusade, Ghost: Nova
    Episode II (mostly), part of Episode III: Queen of Blades
    After Brood War: certain events in Ghost: Nova
    Almost StarCraft II era: Firstborn and the rest of the Dark Templar trilogy

The recommended reading order would be to just read them in publication order. Having said that, certain plot elements continue fairly strongly from one individual book to another, although it's not necessary to actually read all the books and it won't make your enjoyment much greater either. For some odd reason, most of these pairs or groups involve a weak book.

Uprising -> Liberty's Crusade -> Queen of Blades.

Uprising contains plot elements involving Mengsk and Kerrigan that carry over into Liberty's Crusade, and LC has some plot elements that carry over into Queen of Blades (generally involving Liberty and Raynor, but not Kerrigan). Queen of Blades is the weak one in the bunch due mainly to plot but also because they made Raynor into a Mary Sue and because no Protoss other than Tassadar or Raynor utter (or emit, or project, or whatever) a single word.

Shadow of the Xel'Naga -> Firstborn (and probably the entire Dark Templar Saga)

Plot elements involving Xel'Naga Temples. SotXN was pretty crappy, but IMO the best/coolest scene is when [spoiler]Lt. Scott and his puny party enter the Temple; the scene is almost ruined by horribly written combat sequences, however, like when the Firebats are killed.[/spoiler] Too bad it doesn't make up for the main character being a Mary Sue.
    Last edited by Kimera757*; 09-12-2007 at 10:02 PM.
    sigline
    StarCraft wiki; a complete and referenced database on the StarCraft game series, StarCraft II, Lore, Characters and Gameplay, and member of the StarCraft II Fansite Program.

"Do you hear them whispering from the stars? The galaxy will burn with their coming."

I come in all flavors
    Array

Well at least Queen of Blades gave us Matt Horner....

Life is GooD :)
    Array

I haven't read a single book, and I don't plan to. I don't really see the point of them because I get a rough thought on the storyline from the campaign and the dialogue. This isn't Lord of the Rings, now.

I come in all flavors
    Array

If there was a book that you have to read for additional enjoyment then it would be the Dark Templar trilogy since it is written to coincide with the plot of SC2