Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: [Suggestion] Terran Melee-Range Solutions

Master of Quotation
    Array

Default Re: [Suggestion] Terran Melee-Range Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Karune
    2. Can we expect units to replace the Reaver and the Soul Hunter? (starcraftzone.com)

Yes, we are always testing the addition of new units as well as the removal of older units. For instance, in our current build, the Terran Firebat is back in the game, as we test how he interacts with the new additions into StarCraft II. Of course, nothing is final though.
    Intresting....

the possible issue with Firebat being "back" is that a firebat of sc/bw brand is way less versatile than what seems to be the norm for terran units in sc2. also, marines, medics, reapers, ghosts and firebats .... makes for a quite infantry dominated rooster of terran units

still its the best conceivable melee/ranged solution ... especially if its reinvented somehow to improve versatility. Infantry units being numerous is more of a feeling; something hard to get a grasp on without seeing a lot more of the game...
    Last edited by Todie; 09-07-2007 at 04:21 PM.
    sigline

Creative competitive options should be a priority for Diablo III - like rewarded competitive questing !
    With great sensibility comes great responsibility

What Would Tassadar Do?
    Array

I'd like their health and rate of fire upgraded in SC2, or maybe a full-on continuous flamer, instead of the "burst" of SC1
    sigline

Array

Consider me strange but I'm not particularly overjoyed of the Firebat's return. Sure, on the plus side, it's the return of an old unit from SC1, but the problem is that it is the return of an old unit from SC1. Don't understand? It's just that with the Firebat's return, it leaves absolutely no change in the Terran infantry aside from the addition of Reapers.

Personally, I'm in favor of Remnant's suggestion of having the Marine (staple grunt of the Terran military) have an alternate mode that is a melee combatant. Have it so that the melee form deals higher dps than the ranged form (but lower than a similarly priced, dedicated melee fighter). Or perhaps it could deal the same dps but at a more constant rate (as opposed to burst), with a slight splash damage (thus potentially more damage than ranged form) or both. The time needed to switch modes and maybe even a minimum cooldown time between switches would prevent it from being deemed 'overpowered' or 'imbalanced'.

By doing this, it sorts of adheres to the trend in which all Terran unit classes (infantry, ground armor and air/spacecraft) have one unit that can transform. As for what the melee weapon ought to be, make it a flame thrower (as tribute to the Firebats) since I always thought that the Marine and Firebat uniforms sort of in a way kind of look similar.
    Last edited by mr. peasant; 09-08-2007 at 10:33 AM.

BF Member
    Array

Don't really know why people are going crazy over the whole firebat thing.

Browder and Sigaty mentioned that 'in our latest build the firebat is back' in a vid interview months ago. This sort of stuff gets tested all the time, and Karune just forwarded the fact that in the latest build, it is back. It's being tested, is it really such a surprise that things like this happen during a pre-alpha?

Guardian of Helm
    Array

I want to move to Neverwinter on the Sword Coast...

While I can understand why the Firebat may make it back as a melee fighter for the Terrans, I am concerned for what this means for their war strategy. This gives them the Marine, which still has Stimpacks and U-238 shells, along with the new Shield upgrade for HP. Combine with the Medic, the Reaper base raider and the Ghost's power to summon huge squadrons of Marines in an instant via Drop Pods.

Compare this to the expensive and weighty Thor, the classic but now counter-able Siege Tank, the Viking Jack-Of-All-Trades-Master-Of-None, and the Cobra, and it seems the Terrans will be weighed in the infantry department for their war effort. I'm not sure if this is a good or a bad thing, however.

Automobile enthusiast
    Array

How about we just add an upgrade to the academy (if it's still in there, sorry guys I stopped bothering to try to stay up with units long time ago) where marines can be toggled to be produced with shotguns.

That would solve a lot of things, add a "slow down counter" to units (like devourer spores, more shotgun shell counters - slower the unit) and limit the range and add a % for knockback. And yes make it fire off like a spread so medium/long distance (Within it's range) is horrid damage/accuracy. I dunno, thought of this off the top of my head.

Could also add marines with riot shields and stun sticks. Limited damage and long cool down but the marines can "hold position" and put down the shield, while other mariens can stand back and fire. Sounds imbalanced by the sounds of it already lol.
    sigline
    Project car: 1992 skyline and some other completely wrecked JDM cars

Temporary Generic Title
    Array

This isn't really an issue anymore, as Marauders both have the HP to tank for Marines and an attack that slows down enemies.
    sigline
    My TV Blog

My DeviantArt

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.