View Single Post

Old 12-28-2008

United States Luther Stark
a.w.o.l
 Luther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of winLuther Stark is made of win

I deleted the post because I was wrong to have made the post in the first place. One of the things I believe is that I shouldn't state my own views or beliefs unless my intent is for others to benefit from hearing them. I went against that belief because I made the post in the hope that others would agree with me and thus legitimize my own position and therefore benefit myself. It was a hypocritical and paradoxical thing to do.

That said, I'll see if I can respond to some counter-points. Not in the hopes of proving myself right, but in the hopes of making my own view clearer for anybody who is interested. If you arn't, no need to read further.

Quote:
The human mind cannot do anything but strive to increase comfort and pleasure and decrease discomfort and pain.
But what does the human mind do when it is faced with a situation in which it is in pain but can do nothing to stop it? If it continues to strive to decrease the pain, it will only cause more suffering, because it is spending more energy without any gain.

Based on my experience I would say that in these situations the human mind has a choice. It can continue to futilelystrive to decrease the pain but it is also capable of not striving to decrease pain. So it has a choice.

I realize that none of this is original, but the part that I think most people disagree with is that choosing to stop striving against the pain when the pain is present can be as relieving as never even having the pain in the first place. I know this doesn't make much sense, but its just been my own personal experience.

Last edited by Luther Stark; 12-28-2008 at 07:27 PM.

pm.gif